Artsakh Human Rights Defender Gegham Stepanyan published a report on cases of violation of the ceasefire regime by Azerbaijan and violation of the rights of the civilian population of Artsakh in 2020-2022 on his official Facebook page.
“After the signing of the tripartite statement dated November 9, 2020, the Azerbaijani side continues to resort to criminal actions that lead to the violation of the rights of the people of Artsakh, statements about which the Office of the Human Rights Defender has periodically made statements.
Over the past two years, hundreds of cases of illegal and egregious violations of international humanitarian law have been recorded, related to the violation of the ceasefire, psychological terror, disruption of the normal operation of infrastructures, obstruction of agricultural work, vandalism of cultural property and other criminal acts that have led to to restrict the right of the people of Artsakh to life, to physical and mental integrity, to private property, to free movement, to personal and family life, to inviolability of dignity, restriction of cultural and religious rights, as well as violation of the law on the prohibition of torture, inhuman or degrading dignity treatment and discrimination.
• From November 10, 2020 to November 13, 2022, the law enforcement agencies of Artsakh registered 121 cases of a crime that caused material and human damage.
• 18 people were killed (3 civilians, 15 military), 132 people were subjected to attempted murder (54 civilians, 78 military), 67 people were shot and physically assaulted (of which 16 were civilians).
• 5 out of 8 people who accidentally crossed into the territories controlled by Azerbaijan were returned with obvious traces of violence, torture and fractures. Of those persons returned to the Armenian side, Artak Manasyan, a resident of the Martuni region born in 1989, engaged in cattle breeding, died just a few months after this incident.
• 13 residential buildings were under direct attack, 8 agricultural machines, 22 vehicles and 16 other objects were damaged or destroyed, 5 gardens were set on fire, small and large cattle were stolen from the civilian population. Animals that accidentally moved to the pastures now under the control of Azerbaijan are not returned, but are stolen and used by representatives of the Azerbaijani armed forces.
• Agricultural work carried out in the territories located near the line of contact is openly obstructed. Aimed shots are fired at civilians and equipment carrying out agricultural work, after which the work is stopped. Such criminal actions of the Azerbaijani side are especially active during the agricultural season and harvest. Sometimes the Azerbaijani military invades the orchards directly and forces the harvesters to leave the area at gunpoint. As a result of such behavior, Aram Tepnants, a resident of the Martakert region, engaged in agriculture, and Seyran Sargsyan, a resident of the Martuni region, engaged in cattle breeding, were killed by the Azerbaijani armed forces.
• In order to exert pressure, the operation of vital infrastructures is periodically disrupted, which was recorded in March 2022, when, as a result of the explosion of the gas pipeline by Azerbaijan, for about 20 days, the entire population of Artsakh was deprived of gas supply and heating. Communications and communications are constantly muffled with the help of special silencers.
• As a result of monitoring of open sources after the establishment of the ceasefire regime, more than a hundred cases of vandalism, destruction and desecration of Armenian spiritual and cultural values, graves in the territories now under the occupation of Azerbaijan, were recorded, contrary to the calls and statements of various international structures.p>
• The policy of Armenophobia continues at the state level in Azerbaijan. The propaganda of hatred is carried out with the direct participation of the President of Azerbaijan, the ruling power and persons with public influence. Azerbaijani kindergartens and schools continue to use the so-called “patriotic” education method based on hatred for Armenians.
All these actions serve as actual proof of the policy of ethnic cleansing and genocide pursued by Azerbaijan towards the people of Artsakh. These actions are much more eloquent than the false peacefulness and false promises of the Azerbaijani leadership”